Pickling cucumbers is a process where cucumbers have been pickled in brine, vinegar, or another solution and left to ferment for a period of time, either by immersing the cucumbers in an acidic solution or by roasting via lactone fermentation.
Pickling cucumbers with vegetables
- 2 kilos of medium-sized cucumbers.
- 4 small onions.
- 1 sweet red pepper.
- 1 sweet green pepper.
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt.
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar.
- 3 cups of sugar.
- 2 tablespoons of mustard seeds.
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric.
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves.
How to prepare pickling cucumber with vegetables
1. Wash the cucumbers, cut their edges on both sides, and then cut them into slices of medium thickness.
2. Peel the onions, and cut them into thin slices.
3. Wash the sweet peppers, cut them in half, then remove the stalks, seeds, and inner white fibers, and cut them into thin slices.
4. Pour the cucumber slices into a large plastic container, add the onion slices and sweet pepper, sprinkle with salt, and mix the ingredients well by hand, then close the box and leave at room temperature for 3 hours.
5. Pour the cucumber mixture into a large colander with wide holes, wash it well with water, and then leave it in the colander until it gets rid of the water.
6. Pour the mixture into a large tray, and dry well with kitchen paper.
7. Pour vinegar into a medium-sized bowl, add sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, and cloves, stir and leave the mixture on high heat until it reaches a boil.
8. Add the cucumber mixture to the seasoning mixture, and leave it on the fire until it reaches a boil, then leave it to boil for 30 seconds or until the cucumber loses its green color.
9. Remove the vegetables from the pot with a large spoon with wide openings, and pack into dry, sterilized jars.
10. Pour the seasoning mixture into the jars until the cucumbers are covered and close to the edge, then seal the jars and immerse them in boiling water for 10 minutes.
11. The jars are removed from the water, dried well, and left to cool, then kept in a dark place or in the refrigerator when opened.
What kind of cucumber to use?
Kirby cucumbers that are small with bumpy skin, are the most popular choice for pickling.
Choose the Persian cucumber, which is smaller and has thinner skin. If that’s not available, use the English cucumber (again, thin, non-waxy skin).
Tip for extra crunchy cucumber pickles:
Cut a fresh cucumber into slices and put it in a colander with some ice cubes for 20 to 30 minutes.
Then drain it and let it dry before pickling it. This gives a little trick that gives me an extra crunch
Is pickling cucumber the same as a regular cucumber?
Pickled cucumbers are short and large than sliced cucumbers. Cucumber with thinner skins and black spines is best for pickling so that the pickled product looks better. Fresh pickling can eat and sliced, but the differences can be discerned by the average consumer
What is the difference between pickling cucumber and small cucumber?
Young and mini cucumbers are usually used for pickling and eaten or kept when they are about 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.6 cm) long. … Pickling cucumbers have a thinner crust than that regular foxtails and tend to be less bitter. The standard option has a thicker rind which gives it longer shelf life, so it lasts longer when stored.
How long do cucumbers have to be soaked until they are pickled?
The pickles will be crunchy and you won’t need to add firming agents. For a quick and easy way to help ensure the crispness of cucumbers: Soak the cucumbers in ice water for 4 to 5 hours before pickling.
What is the benefit of pickled cucumber?
Fermented pickles are rich in good bacteria called probiotics, which are very necessary for our gut health. It fights diseases. Cucumbers are high in an antioxidant called beta-carotene, which your body converts into vitamin A.
How do you keep cucumbers crisp when pickled?
Try using a “crunchy pickle” instead. Keep cucumbers cool before making pickles by storing them in the refrigerator. To get more crunchiness, you should soak cucumber slices in a large bowl of ice water for several hours or overnight before adding to the jar.
You should read