How to make pickled whole white onions! This tangy, sweet, spicy, and brickle pickled onion form is the perfect seasoning for tacos, burritos, nachos, burgers, shawarma, sandwiches, salads, bowls, and more.
Do you love pickled onions? Pickling turns raw onions from pungent and brickle to irresistibly pungent and crisp. I add some red pepper flakes for redundant seasoning and maple syrup or honey to round the other strong flavors.
How to use pickled onions
There are so many delicious ways to use pickled onions! Some of my favorites include…
- Mexican classics: tacos, tostadas, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, fajitas, chimichangas, flautas, nachos, soups and more
- Breakfast foods: scrambled or fried eggs, chilaquiles, huevos rancheros, breakfast sandwiches, breakfast casserole, and more
- Sandwiches: any type of burger, panini, cabbage, or another type of sandwich
- Meat and Seafood: Chicken, steak, fish, shrimp, or shellfish (especially any type of BBQ!)
- Side Dishes: Beans, Rice, Elite, Potato Salad, Grilled Vegetables, and more
- Other favorites: Soups, salads, curries, falafel, pizza, and more… the sky is the limit!
Whole White Spicy Pickled Onions (Quick Process)
- 1.4 kg small white onions (2.5 – 5 cm / 1 to 2 inch in diameter)
- 4 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1-2/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (whole)
- 16 whole cloves
- Chili flakes (If you like)
How to make pickled whole white onions
- Peel the onions and trim the ends. Rinse in cool running water, drain.
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, water, and salt. Boil the mixture, stir to dissolve the salt.
- Onions are added to the boiling brine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the onions in sterilized pint jars.
- To each bowl add 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) mustard seeds, 1.25 ml (1/4 teaspoon) celery seeds, 1.25 ml (1/4 teaspoon) peppercorns, and 4 whole cloves.
- Fill up each jar with the hot saline solution (brine). Leave a space of 1.27 cm (1/2 inch). You have to use a non-metallic spatula to remove air bubbles created in the jar.
- Wipe the edges of the jars and adjust the lids.
- Let the jar for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- Servings: 1.3 liters (4 pints)
Note: If the onions are large, 5 cm (2 in) in diameter, You may need another 1 or 2 sterilized pint jars. Use additional seasonings as needed for each jar.
The Best Pickle Jars in Details
No products found.
How to Make Pickled Whole White Onions ( Long process)
- 2 kilos of very small onions.
- 2 cups of table salt.
- 4 cups of white vinegar.
- 3 big tablespoons of Salt.
- 3 tablespoons of sugar/maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons of pickle spices.
- 2 teaspoons of pepper.
How to prepare pickled onions
- Put the onions without peeling them with salt in the pot, put enough boiling water before.
- Cover and leave for two days, stirring from time to time.
- Drain it from the water and carefully remove the peel, leaving the end attached.
- Put the onion in a pot and add boiling water to it, leave it for 3 minutes, then drain it from the water.
- Repeat this process twice, then transfer the hot onions to a dry, hot jar.
- Boil the rest of the ingredients together, then let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour it over the onions until they are completely covered.
- Put in a cool, dark place.
Quick Pickled Onion Tips
Choose Vinegar wisely
Using an admixture of apple cider vinegar and regular distilled vinegar makes these pickles taste indeed more intriguing. You can use whole distilled vineger if that is all you have at home.
Natural sweeteners to win
Choosing maple syrup or honey rather than regular sugar provides some redundant flavor and conspiracy while making these pickles naturally candied. I wouldn’t recommend making these pickles without any sweeteners-they’re well balanced with them, but relatively courtesan without them.
You Can Buy whole White Pickled Onions if You Feel difficult to Make at Home
No products found.