Babies are the most precious being in this world. In fact, human babies are the most sensitive and helpless compared to other species on this earth. Their skin can be damaged quickly in the direct sunlight. Sudden sunburn may cause a medical emergency to them like high fever, dehydration, infections, chills, rashes, blisters or a sudden heatstroke. So Choosing the best sunscreen for toddlers is the most important. Because a bad and harmful sunscreen can make a risk of long-term damage.
What is a sunscreen?
Combination of several ingredients that help our skin to prevent the sun’s ultraviolet radiation (UVA, UVB) is known as sunscreen. It’s also known as sunblock, suntan lotion or sun cream. According to the Centers for Disease Control(CDC), in the United States, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer. Sun exposer is a major factor in skin cancer’s growth. A sunscreen is a barrier that protects our skin from UV rays. We know that UVA causes moles, wrinkles, vitiligo, and scars. On the other side, UVB causes sunburn. keep one thing in the note that no sunscreen can blocks 100 percent of UV rays. All sunscreen should reapply after every two hours or ASAP after swimming or sweating. Sunscreen should be always kept in a cool and dry place. With proper storage, a sunscreen bottle can be last for five to 10 years!
Is sunscreen safe for the infants?
An infants skin is thinner, sensitive and not enough matured compared to the adults. In addition infants- under six months have a higher surface area-to-body weight ratio than older kids and adults. An infant’s exposure to the chemicals in sunscreens may increase the risk of side effects from the sunburn. But as they need more protection, you have to cover them up to keep them safe from sunburn. Infants should be kept out of direct sunlight, especially between 10 AM to 2 PM, when the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation is most intense. Newborn babies should be protected from the sun with umbrellas, blankets, and canopies.
What is the best Sunscreen for toddlers?
Sunscreen is safe for 6 months older babies or toddlers. Avoid exposing your toddler to the sun during 10 a.m to 2 p.m even he or she is fully covered with sunscreen. A New York dermatologist and author of Beyond Beauty, Debbie Palmer, DO, described the importance of dressing toddlers in protective clothing (like hats, sunglasses, and sleeves). If it’s cold or cloudy outside don’t skip the sunscreen. Keep in mind that on a completely cloudy day, up to 40 percent of the sun’s ultraviolet radiation reaches the earth. This misperception often leads to the most serious sunburns, because people spend all day outdoors with their babies with no protection from the sun.
What Should you look for choosing a Sunscreen for toddlers
SPF or Sun Protection Factor is a measure of a sunscreens ability to prevent UV rays. For example, a sunscreen with a 15 SPF can block 93 percent of the sun’s UVB rays. The higher the number, the better it works – according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
1. SPF 15 can block 93% of UVB rays of the sun
2. SPF 30 can block 97% of UVB rays
3.SPF 50 can block 98% of UVB rays of the sun
The best sunscreen for toddlers must undergo FDA approved SPF testing. Mainly there are three types of SPF testing-
1. SPF Static
2. SPF Water resistant for 40 minutes
3. SPF Water resistant for 80 minutes
Broad spectrum sunscreen can protect both UVA and UVB rays. So choose a sunscreen that can protect your toddler’s sensitive skin.
Specially Formulated for toddlers or babies:
Make sure the sunscreen is formulated for toddlers or baby’s sensitive skin. No harmful chemicals are added.
Water or sweat resistant:
Be sure that your sunscreen is water or sweat resistant. And how much time it remains active under water and when to reapply it. You need a stronger, water-resistant, beachwear-type sunscreen that holds together on your skin. The “water resistant” and “very water resistant” types are good for hot days or while playing sports in the pool or beach water.
Whenever you starting using sunscreen on your toddler, please perform a patch test first. That applies to a small area of skin to make sure that is your baby can tolerate the ingredients of the product.
Mineral or chemical :
If your baby has sensitive skin or other allergies than mineral-based sunscreen will be better for him. Mineral sunscreen agents like Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide less irritate babies’ skin than chemical-based sunscreen. avoid sunscreens that contain PABA or oxybenzone.
The best sunscreen for toddlers would be tear-free and non-greasy. Avoid sprays that may expose lungs to harmful chemicals.
How to apply sunscreens on the skin:
Here are a few tips and tricks to put sunscreen on a toddlers soft and sensitive skin.
- Apply a small amount of sunscreen to the head of a baby. If the baby doesn’t have any hair on the head make sure to cover the scalp with sunscreen.
- When in the sun, babies should wear long-sleeved clothing, hats, and even sunglasses. Those little eyes are very sensitive and can be affected quickly.
- Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the babies’ skin. (1)
- Make sure to reapply sunscreen in every two hours or as soon as a baby gets out of the water. This is as important as the first time application on the skin.
We recommend you the best Sunscreen for toddlers:
# These sunscreens are not recommended for babies who are under six months.
Thinkbaby SPF 50+ is a water and sweat so you can use it in swimming pool or beach water. It is a safe, healthy, waterproof sunscreen that’s easy to put on, feels and smells good like vanilla and orange. Think baby sunscreen is not oily, thick or greasy and spreads easily on your babies skin. This sunscreen contains Zinc Oxide (non-nano), whole leaf aloe vera gel, avocado oil, wild carrot, jojoba seed oil, olive oil rosemary, cornstarch, beeswax and other natural ingredients. There are no harmful chemicals. Thinkbaby donates a percentage of its revenue to support Lance Armstrong’s LiveStrong Foundation to fight cancer. It’s quite thick and takes some time to rub in It is a little pricey but you can find good deals on Amazon.
- Made of natural Ingredients
- Broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- SPF 50+
- Recommended by dermatologist
- Top rated by EWG
- free of biologically harmful chemicals
- No avobenzone, oxybenzone
- Non-Nano formulations
- A Member Of The Safe Cosmetics Campaign Compact Featured In &Nbsp
- Mineral based sunscreen
- It doesn’t leave the white film
- Made in the USA
- Amount 88ml
2. Aveeno Baby
Aveeno baby continuous protection sensitive skin face stick is a perfect sunscreen for babies. You can consider it as the best sunscreen for toddlers. It’s broad spectrum SPF 50 so your baby will be protected from both UVA and UVB sun rays. Aveeno sunscreen is easy to use and in a size, that’s easy to carry in a bag or purse for to go. The good thing is that as it is in stick form so no chances to go in your baby’s eyes. This product is specially designed for toddler’s sensitive and soft skin, water and sweat resistant so can protect your baby for 80 minutes under water. This gentle sunscreen does leave the skin looking a little bit lighter so you can easily spot the area where it missed. This Mineral sunscreen stick is made with naturally sourced mineral sunscreen ingredients of zinc oxide and titanium oxide.
- SPF 50
- Broad Spectrum
- water and sweat resistant for more than 80 minutes
- Mineral based formula
- specially designed for babies
- No-mess stick formula to create a barrier on top of the skin to scatter harmful UV rays
- Oil-free and fragrance-free
- Active ingredients Zinc Oxide and Titanium oxide
- tear-free formula
- Amount: 14g
- Made in: USA
- Paraben and Phthalate free
- Easy to carry
When it’ time to choose the best sunscreen for toddlers, you can consider this product of Amazon. Badger’s SPF30 Baby Sunscreen Cream contains non-nano Zinc Oxide to protect from both UVA & UVB rays. It is also water and sweat resistant for at least 40 minutes so safe for the pool or beach. Its organic base is Sunflower oil, Beeswax, and vitamin E which also moisturize your baby’s skin. It has a very distinctive scent
- Broad spectrum
- SPF 30
- water & sweat resistant for 40 minutes
- Certified by the pediatricians and Dermatologist
- Certified Base of organic Sunflower oil, beeswax, and Vitamin E
- Safe for sensitive skin
- No oxybenzone and Octinoxate
- Amount: 87ml
- Made in: USA
- Biodegradable: safe for coral reefs and others
- Works immediately upon application
- Packaged in a BPA and Phthalate-free
- Smells pretty good and a very thick cream.
- Broad Spectrum SPF 30+
- Sun Protection with 10% Zinc Oxide and 5% Titanium Dioxide
- Recommended by Dermatologists
- No fragrance
- Amount: 148 ml
- Made in: USA
- Bottle turns in to pink in harmful UV sunlight
- Formulated for babies soft and sensitive skin
- No Harsh Chemicals
- 40 Minutes Water Resistant
Here is another best sunscreen for toddlers. CeraVe Baby Sunscreen contains broad spectrum with SPF 45 to protect your toddler’s skin from sun damaging UVA and UVB rays. The product is formulated with essential ceramides (1,3,4-11) and safe for sensitive skin. It can help repair and restore the protective skin barrier. This product is not greasy or too thick to rub on comfortably. It goes on smoothly, absorbs quickly, and has a lovely scent and good basic moisturizer. Easy to apply and doesn’t leave any feeling like you have to wash your hands after.
- Broad Spectrum with SPF 45
- recommended by the pediatricians and safe for extremely sensitive skin
- does not contain any irritants
- Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide
- Water resistant (80 minutes)
- No Fragrance
- Paraben and Sulfate Free
- Ideal for all skin types
- Contains 100 percent naturally sourced active sunscreen ingredients
- Not tested on animals
- NEA Seal of Acceptance
Babyganics is another one of the best sunscreen for toddlers. This product is exclusively 100% natural NeoNourish seed oil blended which support baby’s skin. This product is mineral-based. It is like a paste and stays on top of the skin unless you run it in well.
- Non- allergenic
- Tear-free formula
- SPF 50 formula provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection.
- Water and Sweat resistant (80 minutes)
- Pediatrician tested
- PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano-particles free
- It was Never tested on animals.
- safe for sensitive skin
Now you know which sunscreen would be best for your toddler. If you’re going to spending time outside with your baby—at the beach or other, you should bring a good umbrella to sit under, too.
If you have any questions about the sunscreens listed or anything to do with sun protection for your toddler please feel free to leave a comment below!