Sandalwood incense is one of the most famous and widely used types of incense, which is highly popular in many different cultures and countries,  especially those in which incense is generally used in daily life. It is burned when celebrating on religious occasions, while others use it with what is known as a treatment. With aromas, or to perfume different homes and places, this incense can be made at home in several different ways that will be discussed in the following article.
How to make sandalwood incense at Home
Sandalwood derived from the wood of the Santalum tree is considered one of the most sacred elements in various religions around the world. Sandalwood is one of the most expensive woods in the world and has been used as incense sticks since the advent of mankind.
Its distinctive, woody, warm and lasting fragrance has many benefits. Let’s explore all there is to sandalwood incense and how you can draw radiant energy from its unique, pious scent.
There are many methods that can be used to make sandalwood incense, including the following:
How to make sandalwood incense sticks
Sandalwood incense and sweet-smelling chewing gum are made by following the following steps:
- 4 tablespoons of ground sandalwood.
- A teaspoon of guar gum.
- A small amount of water.
- A mixing bowl, preferably made of glass.
- Chewing gum paste;
- Seal gun for making incense sticks.
- A wooden stick is 15 cm long to measure by.
- A piece of cardboard is used for packaging as a postcard to keep the incense inside.
- Waxed paper.
- Cardboard or plywood.
- Sharp knife.
- Juice strainer
Making method :
- All ingredients are sorted and filtered to check that there are no lumps inside, using a juice filter.
- Mix the previous ingredients together and gradually add a small amount of water, whether hot or cold, as desired.
- The ingredients are mixed well and kneaded by hand so that the mixture is in the form of crumbs that are easy to form by hand; To make incense balls free of cracks by it.
- Gradually add 1/4 teaspoon of guar gum to the mixture until the balls stick and the sandalwood granules are well together when shaped.
- The formed mixture is placed inside a conical dam pistol (a glue pistol used to seal holes and openings), so that a quantity of incense is tested in the form of sticks and its flexibility is tested by pressing the pistol. The incense will need more water, and therefore a small amount of it is added to it, mix well, and the experiment is repeated until obtaining cohesive incense sticks.
- Prepare a sheet of wax paper flat on a workbench or use a sheet of plywood as a surface on which to make incense sticks.
- Incense sticks are made using a hexagon by pumping the material inside so that the length of one stick is approximately 15 cm. They are all arranged on a regular basis on the plywood or wax board.
- The length can be checked by using a wooden stick of 15 cm length. All the sticks are also lined up next to it.
- The sticks are arranged and fixed in a straight way and adjusted before drying using the fingers of the hand, so that the longitudinal increments if any, are cut to obtain straight and elegant incense sticks of equal length as well.
- The resulting incense sticks are left at least 24 hours on a wooden or wax board to dry and firm up well before using them and burning them.
- It is recommended to cover them afterward and put them inside the mailing envelope; To maintain their strong and beautiful scent.
How to make sandalwood incense powder
This beautiful smelling incense is made by mixing a group of fresh aromatic flowers and sandalwood powder, known as loose incense, in the following way:
- 1 teaspoon of red sandalwood powder.
- 1 teaspoon of lavender flowers.
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary herb.
- 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves.
- 1 teaspoon of sage herb.
- 1 teaspoon of mint leaves.
- Electric mixer.
- 1 glass bowl for mixing.
- 1 glass bowl with a tight-fitting lid to keep the incense inside.
- 3-4 drops of beautiful-smelling essential oils.
Making method :
- Use one spoon to measure all the ingredients evenly and put them in a bowl; To prepare it for grinding without the need to pick it up.
- Grind the ingredients using the pestle or electric mixer; To get a fine powder.
- Add one teaspoon of red sandalwood powder to the mixture of ground herbs and flowers.
- Add 3-4 drops of a mixture of essential oils of choice, as desired, such as lavender, rosemary, peppermint, or others.
- Mix the ingredients together well, either by hand or using an electric mixer; To verify that it is mixed with sandalwood powder to obtain a good and pleasant-smelling incense.
- The resulting incense is placed in a glass container with a tightly closed lid and stored in a dry and cool place away from sunlight,
- do not open it unless it is desired to be used directly to keep its beauty rest.
How to use incense sticks made of sandalwood
Sandalwood incense, which is in the form of thin longitudinal sticks, is burned like other types of incense, where the flame is ignited from an external source such as a candle or lighter and placed directly on the incense sticks from the top; To be lit in turn and glow, then the source of the flame is removed from it to remain glowing and smells of the beautiful and fragrant smell of burning incense and overwhelms the place, but there are some things to consider when igniting it; To ensure the safety of the place and its residents, including the following:
- Use incense, whether sandalwood or any other type, in a well-ventilated place away from fabrics and curtains that can be burned by the flames.
- Never leave burning incense, regardless of its type or shape, unattended; To avoid accidents and fires.
- Do not place burning incense near children, pets, or moving objects such as curtains, or touch it, and remove it from them as much as possible.
- Using incense externally for the purpose of perfuming the place and making its smell attractive, and not to touch the body, eat it, or other wrong methods of use.
Best Sandalwood Incense sticks to Buy
- Type: Incense Sticks
- Aroma: Sandalwood
- Number of packets: 6
- Number of sticks: 120
- Country of manufacture: Hand rolled in India.
- Satya Sandalwood Incense Sticks (Incense Sticks length 20cm, Weight Pack 15g, Pack Dimensions height 4cm x width 22cm depth 2cm, Box of 12 Packs height 13cm width 22cm x depth 8cm).
- Each 15g pack contains around 12 - 15 incense sticks.
- The original and best Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa Incense from the Shrinivas Sugandhalaya factory.
- The Nag Champa Collection is the most famous brand of incense in the world by far.
- It is traditionally made from a sandalwood base to which are added a variety of flower oils.
- GOLD QUALITY: Our Incense has the highest charcoal content of any brand currently on the market - it delivers the purest, cleanest burn, and crystal clear fragrances.
- LONG LASTING: Package contains 100 incense sticks, approximately 60 minutes for each stick. Totaling over 100 hours of rich fragrance.
- SANDALWOOD SCENT: #1 Fragrance by GONESH. Smooth, fresh, earthy; Warm and soothing; Relaxing and sensual. It just goes to show that the best things in life are hard to describe.
- GOLD QUALITY: Enjoyed by millions; our unique fragrances are known the world over. Gonesh Incense can be found in stores in the United States, Japan, Canada, Mexico, China and more!
- ETHICAL PRACTICES: Gonesh Incense utilizes fair trade labor and environmentally responsible production methods to give you the best incense around. MADE IN CHICAGO, USA. Packaging is recyclable.
- High quality Sandalwood
- Strict level processing
- High natural content
- Hi-tech manufacturing
- Still using manual selection
- This is a bundled product that includes Sandalwood incense of Satya incense and Trumiri incense holder.
- Incense Kit: This bundle includes 1 box of incenses. There are 12 packets in each box. Each packet has 15 incenses in it. Incense holder is also included in the bundle.
- Sandalwood incense are used as home fragrance products for smudging, stress relief, spritual décor and meditation décor.
- Inciensos Aromaticos: Incenses are popular in every culture. Some of them even use them in witchcraft supplies.
- Agarbatti - Our incense are non toxic all natural organic and herbal. All incense are handcrafted in India according to traditional customs using minimal tools and almost no machinery.
- Incense and holder set #20: This is a bundled product that includes 6 unique sandalwood Hem incense sticks and incense holder.
- Incense sticks variety pack includes Sandalwood|Sandal|Amber Sandal|Sandal Cinnamon|Sandal Rose|Oodh Sandalwood fragrances.
- Gift Set: Total 6 fragrances. 20 incense sticks of each fragrance. Incense holder is also included.
- Inciensos aromaticos - Incenses are popular in almost every culture. Traditionally incenses were used for religious and sprituality puposes.
- Agarbatti Sticks - Our incense sticks are non toxic all natural organic and herbal. All incense are handcrafted in India according to traditional customs using minimal tools and almost no machinery.
- An exotic dreamy fragrance to elevate your senses and transport you to a space of divine bliss. Hem’s sandalwood incense has a classic oriental woody note that is known to increase serotonin levels, aid sleep, and stimulate creativity while acting as a natural room freshener. Derived from natural hand-picked ingredients, sandalwood is a great carrier for other aromas as well, making it the ideal scent to experiment with and create a unique blend of your own.
- BOX CONTAINS : 6 pack of 120 sticks (20 sticks each) with a burning time of 35-45 minutes per stick
- STRESS RELIEF : Our authentic hand-rolled incense sticks create soothing aromas relaxing your mind
- MULTIPLE USES : For cleansing aura, burn our incense sticks, eradicate negativity and promote space
- ORGANIC BLEND : With high-quality Charcoal, essential oils, fragrance oils, herbs, flowers & resins
- Made of Natural Materials：It is made of pure and natural sandalwood and integrated with spring water. It contains no chemical additives. The taste is not as strong as Indian incense but has a light sandalwood aroma. In addition, our packaging is simple and exquisite, ensuring both quality and beauty. This is the best choice as a gift. Glicrili will provide you with the best incense.
- Long History: Sandalwood has a history of 1,500 years. It is a pure, natural, precious spice bestowed by nature. Its fragrance is overflowing and unique. No synthetic perfume can match it. Glicrili has been devoted to the research and production of sandalwood. It is guarantee to bring the most exquisite fragrance to customers.
- Lasting: Includes a total of 300 8-inch incense sticks, and each stick can burn for 30 minutes (in an indoor environment), enough for you to complete meditation or yoga. Traditional craft, manual rolling, longer service life. Even if you light an incense every day, you will not use it up in a year.
- Premium Fragrance: The aroma is full of vitality, and the elegant wood fragrance is mixed with a little milk fragrance. The rich fragrance makes people not want to leave. Light the incense during the day to awaken vitality and drive away sleepiness. Light the incense at night creates a soothing and calm atmosphere so that you can relax and fully enjoy the experience.
- Purpose: It is widely used in yoga, meditation, massage, spas, wedding activities, church, etc. Our incense can make you feel happy and relaxed.
- Dwaraka Sandalwood incense is wholly made from 100% organic sandalwood oil
- Helps calm your mind with a sweet woody scent and mask dampness and other odors
- The sweet and cool fragrance of sandalwood helps turn your home’s mood from dull and dark to fresh and bright
- The essential oil used to make the incense is obtained from 100% naturally cultivated sandalwood
- The name ‘Dwaraka’ originates from the holy place where Lord Krishna lived. Just like our name, our products are pure and unadulterated
Types of incense
Incense is classified according to the way it is used into two types, namely:
This incense is in the form of cones or longitudinal sticks made of flammable materials directly on their own when in contact with flame, and is characterized by ease of use compared to the difficulty of manufacture.
Bulk incense (non-flammable):
This incense is in the form of granules and is easy to make and mix, but it does not burn spontaneously as the previous type but needs another substance to burn, as coal tablets are usually used after heating, igniting, and placing them under it.
FAQ About Sandalwood Incense
What is the benefit of sandalwood incense sticks?
Sandalwood incense sticks (20 packs). Earthy sandalwood is the perfect scent for meditation and relaxation, providing serenity and calm.
Is sandalwood a good combustible?
For sandalwood powder, simply make a small “pyramid” in a heat-safe dish and light the top. The powder will burn slowly and give you an earthy, soothing sandalwood scent throughout your home. Sandalwood and agarwood chips are best burned over fragrance-free charcoal or through an electric stove.
Is sandalwood incense safe?
Two types of incense were tested. Both contain agarwood and sandalwood, which are two of the most common ingredients used in making this product. While some of these substances are irritating or slightly harmful (deficient in toxins), the ingredients in two of the samples are known to be highly toxic.
Why do people burn sandalwood?
Burning sandalwood incense sticks during cleansing and meditation rituals subdue feelings of irritability and aggressiveness, effectively promoting openness and compassion. Lifts and rejuvenates your spirit with calming energy.
Does incense have any health benefits?
It has been proven that the effect of good smells generated by incense sticks increases the level of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a natural mood stabilizer and helps with sleep, eating, and digestion. Serotonin also helps reduce depression, regulate anxiety, and reduce headaches.
Does incense purify the air?
Several studies have proven the antibacterial power of incense sticks. It is known to reduce bacteria in the air, sanitize and, at the same time, purify the air and maintain the same levels of purity for 24 hours.