Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, a natural B vitamin that is used by the body to manufacture DNA and other genetic material. It is especially important in prenatal health.
The side effects and benefits of Folic Acid for Girls may differ for many different girls. It is one of the most important natural substances that are recommended to be taken continuously.
It helps in treating many different problems in health, skin, and hair in general. So in In the following lines, we get acquainted in detail with the side effects and benefits of folic acid, some sources, effects of deficiency for girls.
What are the signs of low folic acid?
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 or Folic Acid Deficiency
- extreme tiredness;
- lack of energy;
- Pins and needles (paraesthesia)
- Ulcer and red tongue.
- mouth ulcers;
- muscle weakness;
- disturbed vision
- Psychological problems may include depression and confusion.
- problems with memory, understanding, and judgment
Benefits of folic acid for girls- Hair, skin, and health
- Help to treat anemia, and iron deficiency in the body.
- It works to support the DNA in the body, thus protecting against cancer.
- Contributes to reducing the chances of developing cardiovascular and arterial diseases, as well as its great role in protecting against strokes.
- Significantly protects against memory loss and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Avoid the loss of vision caused by macular degeneration, which begins to affect people over 50 years old.
- Protects the body from osteoporosis, especially in the elderly.
- It has also been proven by many studies that it protects against symptoms of depression, muscle and nerve pain.
- Through previous experiences, it was found that it is important for the girl during the menstrual cycle because it helps reduce the pain associated with it.
- Maintains healthy skin from the appearance of wrinkles and signs of aging.
- Getting rid of the symptoms of insomnia.
- It works to produce more red blood cells, thus increasing the body’s immunity.
- It helps in increasing hair growth, in addition to giving the scalp tissues the necessary strength, which increases the density and works to get rid of hair loss problems.
- Contributes to getting rid of the problem of acne, in addition to infections that appear in the skin such as allergies, because it contains a large proportion of antioxidants.
- It is one of the most important vitamins that contribute to moisturizing the skin and preventing symptoms of dehydration.
- Reduces the appearance of white hair.
- Getting rid of digestive problems and disorders, thus facilitating bowel movement.
- It reduces the chances of developing chronic constipation, as it stimulates the body to absorb all the important nutrients.
- Reduces the risk of diabetes.
- Reducing homocysteine levels in the blood, thus protecting the body from many different diseases.
Benefits Of Folic Acid- Folic Acid Rich Foods
Green leafy vegetables
Green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, and watercress are low in calories yet rich in many essential vitamins and minerals, including folic acid.
One cup (30 grams) of raw spinach provides 58.2 micrograms or 15% of the daily value (11).
Which contains 44% of folic acid.
Which is characterized by containing a large proportion of folic acid, up to 26%.
A study shows that one cup of raw broccoli(91 grams) contains about 57 micrograms of folate which is about 14% of the DV (9).
When it is cooked the folate properties are raised and contains more folate, with each half-cup (78 grams) providing 84 micrograms that are 21% of the DV (10).
Broccoli is also rich in manganese and vitamins C, K, and A.
Citrus fruits are not only tasty and full of flavor, but also rich in folate. (oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and limes, etc)
Just one large orange contains 55 micrograms of folic acid or about 14% of the DV (5).
Citrus fruits are also rich in vitamin C, an essential micronutrient that can help boost immunity and help prevent disease (6).
A legume is the fruit or seed of any plant in the family Fabaceae, including beans, peas, and lentils.
Although the exact amount of folic acid in legumes can vary, they are an excellent source of folic acid.
For example, one cup of cooked kidney beans contains 131 mcg of folate, or about 33% of the Daily Value (DV) (1).
On the other hand, 1 cup (198 grams) of cooked lentils contains 358 mcg of folic acid, which is 90% of the DV (2).
It contains about 28% of the recommended daily intake of folic acid.
In addition to their unique taste, avocados are an excellent source of several important nutrients, including folic acid.
Half of a raw avocado contains 82 micrograms of folic acid or about 21% of the amount you need throughout the day (3).
Nuts contain a high percentage of folic acid.
Incorporating more nuts and seeds into your diet can help you meet your daily folic acid needs.
The amount of folate in different types of nuts and seeds can vary slightly.
One ounce (28 grams) of walnuts contains about 28 mcg of folate, or about 7% of the RDI, while the same serving of flaxseed contains about 24 mcg of folic acid or 6% of the DV (4).
Best Selling Folic Acid Brand Supplements
If you aren’t taking the proper diet to get the right amount of folic acid that your body needs then supplements could be an option.
In order to help you find a quality product, we have listed the best quality folic acid supplements on the market right now.
Jarrow Formulas Methyl Folate
L Methylfolate 15mg|120 Capsules
#1 Best Seller
Neuriva Nootropic Brain Support Supplement
Nutricost Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) 1000 mcg, 240 Capsules
Folic acid side effects for girls
The most important damages that may result from taking folic acid incorrectly or in large quantities through the following:
- In the event that it is taken in large quantities, it may lead to severe contractions in the stomach wall.
- It can cause severe diarrhea.
- Excessive intake of folic acid leads to the formation of a large proportion of gases in the stomach.
- It leads to the appearance of rash symptoms significantly, if taken in large quantities.
- Sometimes it may negatively affect the nervous system in the body, causing nerve damage.
- Infection of the skin with constant irritation, which results in the appearance of areas of redness.
- Sometimes it may reduce the body’s immunity if taken in large quantities.
- According to some foreign studies, it has been proven that an excessive increase in folic acid may cause many problems related to the hormone insulin.
- It can lead to cancer or liver disease if consumed in excess.
- It interacts with various medicines such as epilepsy or cancer medicines, and it also interacts widely with medicines for treating colon symptoms.
- Sometimes it may negatively affect the health of the respiratory system, and the person has difficulty breathing normally.
- It causes sleep disturbances if taken in large quantities.
- It causes a loss of desire to eat for long periods, which may expose the body to losing a lot of excess weight within a short period of time.
- It causes constant dizziness and nausea.
- Leaves a foul taste in the mouth.
Therefore, it is best to consult a physician before taking folic acid, in addition to the fact that the prescribed dose must be adhered to without excessive.
Facts About Folic Acid You Should Know
Each year, about 130 babies born in New York State have neural tube defects (NTD).
There are about 4,000 pregnancies affected by NTD(disorders of the development of the brain and spinal cord) each year in this state.
Up to 70 percent of NTDs can be prevented if all women who could become pregnant consume 0.4 mg/day of folic acid at least one month before conception and during the first trimester of pregnancy.
A folic acid is a synthetic form of B vitamin that the body uses to manufacture DNA. DNA is essential for rapid cell division and organ/tissue formation in a developing baby.
Folic acid can only help prevent NTDs during the first weeks of pregnancy, usually before a woman knows she is pregnant. In fact, because 50 percent of pregnancies are unplanned, all sexually active women of childbearing age should take folic acid daily, even between pregnancies.
About two-thirds of women in the United States consume insufficient levels of folic acid. Women can get enough folic acid by taking vitamin supplements, containing 0.4 mg of folic acid per day. Increase eating of foods fortified with folic acid.
Folic acid-rich foods are fortified breakfast cereals, bread, rice, pasta, and other grain products, green vegetables, and legumes such as kidney beans, lentils. A large glass of pure and fresh orange juice and a bowl of fortified cereal can provide you with 50-100% of the recommended daily amount of folic acid.
A woman who has had a previous pregnancy affected by NTD is most likely to have a recurrence and should see a doctor before planning another pregnancy.
Other potential health benefits of taking folic acid at 0.4 mg/day include reduced risks related to heart disease, stroke, and some types of cancer.
Women should keep their folic acid intake below 1 mg per day, except under the supervision of a doctor. Sometimes high doses of folic acid cause complications in the diagnosis of vitamin B12 deficiency.
Symptoms of folic acid deficiency in the body
In the context of our discussion Side Effects and Benefits of Folic Acid for Girls, we will learn through this paragraph about the most important symptoms that show a lack of folic acid in the body:
- General weakness in the immune system, and the incidence of immune diseases frequently.
- Constant feeling of tiredness and fatigue.
- General weakness of the digestive system, and the occurrence of a defect in its functions, thus increasing the chances of developing constipation, bloating, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- In the case of a pregnant woman, problems with the development of the fetus occur.
- Various anemia diseases, and the body’s inability to absorb the high amount of iron.
- Severe swelling of the tongue and the tissues of the mouth can be exposed to unusual softness.
- Severe and severe mood swings, and symptoms of irritability and sensitivity in the body.
- Skin discoloration.
- Sometimes the body may experience significant and noticeable weight loss.
- A lack of folic in the body exposes the person to a general weakness in the cognitive centers in the body, and severe difficulty in concentrating.
- Respiratory disorders, which may lead to severe shortness of breath.
- Heart rate faster than normal.
Categories exposed to folic acid deficiency
- A woman who is planning to become pregnant, and a woman in the first months of her pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding women in general.
- People who drink excessively alcoholic beverages.
- People with liver and kidney disease.
- People with diabetes who are committed to taking diabetes medications.
- In the case of people taking medicines that help diuresis.
FAQ about the side effects and benefits of Folic acid for girls
- Can folic acid have negative effects? What are the side effects of folic acid?
When taken orally: It is LIKELY SAFE to take folic acid in doses no more than 1 mg per day. Doses greater than 1 mg per day may be unsafe. These doses may cause stomach upset, nausea, diarrhea, irritability, confusion, behavioral changes, skin reactions, seizures, and other side effects.
- Does folic acid grow hair?
Folic acid helps promote hair growth, add volume, and even reduce premature graying – it does so by intensifying the production processes of the body’s cells. (1)
- Can folic acid cause baldness?
Research suggests that a deficiency of folic acid may be associated with an increased risk of cancer or gray hair. However, studies have not yet found a major link between low folic acid levels and hair loss. (2)
- What does folic acid do to a woman’s body?
- Does folic acid affect the period?
- Does folic acid delay ovulation?
- How many days should I take folic acid before getting pregnant?
- Can folic acid cause weight gain?
- Can an unmarried girl take folic acid?
All products recommended on Shopnodana are independently selected by our editorial team. If you make a purchase through any of these links, we may receive a commission. Learn more about our product selection process here.